Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Give the gift of Lincoln

Is your holiday shopping done? Have you planted the seed of Lincoln yet?

It’s not too late to pick up a Lincoln book or two or a few to give to the special people in your life. If you’ve already remembered the people on your gift giving list, consider donating Lincoln titles to schools or local libraries. Can you think of a more fitting way to commemorate the upcoming bicentennial of Lincoln’s birth? A book is a gift that keeps on giving, often teaching and giving joy across generations.

In the Lincoln Buff library are Lincoln titles for all ages, including the first one I purchased in grade school through the paperback book program for less than a dollar. Today, my grandchildren - from the kindergartener to the high school student - can often be found with their noses in the pages of a book about the 16th president. I can’t help but smile when the youngest asks me if I can show him a picture of Lincoln without his whiskers or the oldest begins quizzing me on Lincoln facts for a term paper.

See the bicentennial website for ideas
If you’re looking for Lincoln titles, be sure to check out the Lincoln Bicentennial website, where you’ll find one list for children’s books and another for adult titles.

Season’s greetings
As you begin celebrating the season according to your own special traditions, I wish you health, happiness and a new Lincoln book. My bet is that if you’re reading this blog, you’ve got some on your list – especially with all the new ones coming out this year.

There will be one special title under the Lincoln Buff’s tree this year thanks to the compounded effect of a sale price, member discount, one day sale, free shipping and a holiday gift certificate. I’ll be sure to report on it once I’ve read it. It should be a good one.

Over the next couple weeks, I’ll be spending more time with my loved ones, so I may not be blogging quite as often. This won’t be my last post before the holidays, though. Please check back in as you have time amidst the hustle and bustle. If you don’t find a new post, know that I’m not forgetting Lincoln or you. I’ve got a huge list of topics and lots of news other Lincoln buffs want me to share. We’ve got a lot to talk about between now and Feb. 12, 2009!

Happy holidays! Ann

No comments: