Friday, October 10, 2008

Over the dam - Boring a hole in the flatboat

In April 1831, Abraham Lincoln came to the rescue when a flatboat full of goods got hung up on a dam on the Sangamon River near New Salem, Ill. Lincoln climbed in the water, bored a hole in the bow of the watercraft and unloaded some of the weight so the flatboat could be lifted over the dam.

Blogging hits a dam
The waters I navigated as a blogger seemed to be just as difficult this week, as I struggled to try to figure out to make my carefully crafted entries have the paragraph breaks I'd so strategically placed.

Finally tonight, in reviewing all the settings controlling the blog, I found one which seemed to be just the solution I needed to get over my dam. I checked "yes" instead of "no" or vice versa on one little checkbox and, voila, magically my earlier posts had the white space (actually more of a buff color - chosen intentionally) that I'd so lovingly put in place.

Over the dam - down the river
I've passed over the dam and am moving on down the river. Hopefully, my river is not so in need of internal improvements as the Sangamon was in Lincoln's day...

Learn about Lincoln's flatboat rescue
To learn more about the Lincoln's flatboat rescue, read Chapter Two, "A Piece of Floating Driftwood," in David Herbert Donald's "Lincoln."

© Copyright 2008 Ann Tracy Mueller. All rights reserved.

No comments: