Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Congratulations, Dr. Wheeler and thanks!

Those of you who are return visitors have likely discovered by now that one of the most rewarding aspects of this blog is that I’ve been able to use it to teach my readers about Lincoln scholars who inspire me, to show you the work others in the Lincoln community are doing and to thank these brilliant, dedicated individuals for their work.

A treasure found

When I began my Lincoln studies in earnest, and subsequently my blog, I began perusing the Internet more carefully for others who were using this medium successfully to share the Lincoln story.

One of the most exciting treasures I found was the website, Lincoln Studies: Abraham Lincoln and the American Civil War (http://www.lincolnstudies.com/), the creation of a Lincoln student named Samuel P. Wheeler of Southern Illinois University. Wheeler’s site has become invaluable to me as I’ve begun my own in-depth studies of Lincoln’s life and legacy. To learn more about it, see my Oct. 19 blog post, Learning with Lincoln.

Since I’ve been busy with my own research recently, I haven’t been as diligent about visiting other Lincoln sites as usual. I stumbled upon a pleasant surprise this evening, and I couldn’t wait to share it with you.

A new, well-deserved title

Please join me in congratulating the new Dr. Samuel P. Wheeler on the successful defense of his dissertation, “Every Spot a Grave: The Poetry of Abraham Lincoln.”

We are proud of you, Dr. Wheeler. May you have a rewarding career as the newest official Lincoln scholar. Congratulations!

© Copyright 2008 Ann Tracy Mueller. All rights reserved.