Sunday, January 11, 2009

Obama at Abe's birthday party?

There's a grapevine in the Lincoln community. Word has been circulating for some time now that President-elect Barack Obama might attend the Abraham Lincoln Association's annual birthday banquet, which this year will serve as his 200th birthday party. I'd heard the information earlier - after I'd purchased my own ticket, but before the announcement was ready to go public. My word is as important to me as Lincoln's was to him, so I did not violate the confidence of those in the know by sharing this information until it was public knowledge.

This morning's State Journal-Register includes an article that confirms Obama has been invited and speculates on the possibility he might attend - or not. Tickets are sold out for the banquet, but overflow seating for a dessert reception was still available when the newspaper went to press earlier today. To read more, visit the articles:

For overflow seating, if available, visit the Abraham Lincoln Association's website to download and mail the Overflow Reservation Form with your payment.

In case you're wondering - no, my seat is not for sale! Before Obama was ever elected, I planned to go to this to celebrate Lincoln. That wish has not changed. This was my gift to me and I'm not giving it up!

* Updated Feb. 2, 2009 - We learned today President Obama will be coming. What a special gift for President Lincoln's big day! And, no, my seat is still not for sale! This - celebrating Lincoln's big day - is a longtime dream for me. I hope to savor every minute of it.

No comments: