Sunday, December 14, 2008

Best wishes, Chief Justice Williams

An announcement late Thursday afternoon caught the State of Rhode Island and the Lincoln world off guard. Chief Justice Frank J. Williams of Rhode Island Supreme Court announced his retirement from the Court.

The good news is that Williams is still a leading Lincoln scholar and author, a member of the U.S. Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Commission, chair of the Rhode Island Lincoln Bicentennial Commission, founding chair of the Lincoln Forum, member and former leader in many other Lincoln-related groups, and a recipient of a special Lincoln Bicentennial Order of Lincoln honor.

This man has done phenomenal work in the Lincoln world while working full-time. I can’t wait to see where his career as a Lincoln scholar goes from here. It's late on a Sunday night. I know I’m cutting this story way too short tonight, so I’m adding Frank J. Williams to my list of future topics. I promise to tell you more about his books and his work on Lincoln in an upcoming article.

For now, you can read more about the Chief Justice’s career and retirement in The Providence Journal online articles.

Judge Williams, if you’re reading, I wish you all the best. I look forward to seeing you around the Lincoln circuit – Eighth or otherwise. Ann

No comments: