Tuesday, February 3, 2009

All but six

When I started this blog in October 2008, I really didn’t know how it would be received. I worried that I’d write and write and no one would read. I just wanted to share my enthusiasm for Abraham Lincoln and to do something special to commemorate his 200th birthday, so I did it anyway. Even if I were the only reader, there would have been some sense of satisfaction.

One of my favorite movies (and I watch very few) is “Field of Dreams.” Who can’t love a movie with the legendary James Earl Jones and the handsome Kevin Costner? One of my favorite lines in the movie is “If you build it, they will come.”

Almost from sea to shining sea
Well, fellow Lincoln buffs, I built it and you came. What a tribute to our 16th President. I’ve had visitors from 20 countries and all but six states in the U.S. I’d love to have visitors from all 50 states by Lincoln’s birthday on Feb. 12, so today I’m featuring Lincoln events in the six states where readers haven’t yet discovered my blog:
  • Delaware
  • Hawaii
  • Maine
  • Mississippi
  • Utah
  • Wyoming

Happenings in these six states
Here are some things I found happening in the states from which I haven't had visitors.


Delaware
See the Delaware Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Commission website for information on these events and more.
Newark: Lincoln Collection Exhibit, “Abraham Lincoln: a Bicentennial Celebration,” Jan. 27 – June 12
Wilmington: Lincoln Bicentennial Dinner, with Chief Justice Frank J. Williams and Harold Holzer, moderated by Justin Carisio, Feb. 10

Hawaii
Honolulu: David Blight Lecture - Memory and the Meaning of Emancipation, March 18

Maine
Portland: Leadership in a Time of Crisis: The Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Symposium, March 21

Mississippi
I couldn’t find a bicentennial event in Mississippi, but David Herbert Donald, one of my favorite Lincoln scholars, was born there, so I’m not writing them off yet. I’ll let you know if I hear of anything they’re doing there to celebrate Lincoln’s big day.

Utah
Bountiful: Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Birthday Celebration, Feb. 11

Wyoming
Cheyenne: Bicentennial celebration- various events, Feb. 12

I’m sure this is by no means a comprehensive listing of bicentennial events in any of these states. These are the first things I ran across. Be sure to watch local media for additional Lincoln events in your area, and if you know anyone in any of these six states, please encourage them to visit the blog. Wouldn't it be cool to have all fifty states represented by the big day?

No comments: