Thursday, February 5, 2009

My bags are packed. I’m ready to go.

Okay, so that’s not true. I haven’t even started to get ready. Folks, I’m going to slow down on the blogging soon to get organized for the big celebration.

Off to Lincoln’s stomping grounds
I’ll be celebrating Lincoln’s birthday in Springfield next week. I’ve taken vacation from work and my family has been gracious in giving me the week off at home. As for the family, I’m not sure if it’s because they a.) know I’d be miserable to live with if I couldn’t go, b.) want me out of their hair or c.) love me and want to see me happy. I think it’s a little of all three.

I have some great opportunities ahead of me – to continue learning about Lincoln, meet people whose work I admire, do some volunteer work for the Bicentennial and join in the celebration.

If you’re in Springfield, how will you know it’s me?"
  • First, look for the person with the biggest smile, because I will be happy!
  • Second, if you’re at a scholarly event, look for the person taking the most copious notes. I know, it looks like overkill, but that’s how I absorb new information – something about the hand, eye and brain working together, I guess. Besides, I need fodder for future blog posts, right?
  • Third, look for my name badge. My friend, Tricia, is creating a really cool name badge for me with a Lincoln penny, my name and Lincoln Buff 2 on it.

If you see me, please be sure to come up to say “hi,” unless it’s on Sunday or Thursday when you might catch sight of me volunteering. I probably shouldn’t get too chatty then. Try to catch me later. I do love hearing from my readers, and it will be really neat to meet some of you.

I’ll be a-twitterin’
As of right now, I don’t plan to blog the week of Feb. 8-14, 2009. I do, however, plan to twitter, except when I’m volunteering. I should be adding a twitter link to my blog on Saturday night, Feb. 7. I’m not quite sure yet what I’ll include, but these are some of the things I thought I might twitter about:

  • Lincoln sightings
  • Lincoln sites
  • Lincoln buffs
  • Buff Lincolns (Hey, you don't think he had six-pack abs from splitting all those logs?)
  • Lincoln scholars
  • Lincoln trivia
  • Bicentennial events
  • And more

Don’t give up on me
If you’re reading my blog on a regular basis, please keep coming back. I’ve got a couple other neat things to tell you about yet this week. Please don’t forget to watch your local newspapers and visit these websites to learn about Lincoln events across the COUNTRY and in Illinois:

And, keep an eye on C-SPAN for Lincoln events they'll be covering in the coming days.

Is it over when it’s over?
In case you’re wondering, my mission will not end with Lincoln’s 200th birthday. It will slow down for a while right after the celebration, as I regroup at home and study for an exam I’m taking for my real job. I’ll be back, though, with lots to tell you. My blog calendar is already chockfull of future story ideas and I’m sure I’ll have even more after my week in Springfield.

Are you Looking for Lincoln? If you’re not, it’s not too late to start. He’s all around you and he’s not going away any time soon.

No comments: