Monday, February 2, 2009

To twitter or not to twitter – that is the question

Don’t you just love social media – connecting with people across the globe whom you’ve never met and reconnecting with people you haven’t heard from in years – finding people who share your passion – whatever it might be? Mine is Lincoln, and if you’re reading this, yours may be, too.

I began this blog as my way of contributing to the Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial, as a way of keeping the legacy of Lincoln alive and sharing my enthusiasm with others. I think it’s working. I’ve heard from Lincoln buffs across the country and even some outside the U.S.

I need your help, though. I’ll be in Springfield (Ill.) the week of Feb. 8-14 every day, all day and most evenings. I have a bit of a commute, so my days will be long and my nights will be short – and my laptop is a bit heavy. I’m tossing around the idea of using twitter to share the Bicentennial with you, as I won’t have much opportunity to blog.

The upside: I can use my cell phone and let you know what’s going on at all the Lincoln activities throughout the week.

The downside: I have to do it in bits of information of 140 characters or less, so I won't be able to write much at any one time.

Even with twitter, there will be some times I’ll be out of touch, as I’m hoping to join in some volunteer efforts for the Bicentennial celebration. I will try, though, to share as much as I can as often as I can when I’m on my own time.

So what do you think: twitter or not? Please leave a comment either way. I read and post comments each evening. Don’t get worried if you don’t see yours right away. My comments are all subject to moderation, and I do that as I can at the end of the day.

Thanks for sharing your preferences – and for reading my blog. Happy Bicentennial!

No comments: