Monday, February 2, 2009

It’s official – President Obama’s coming to the party

Updated Feb. 3, 2009

In a couple of my earlier blog posts, I shared with you that President Barack Obama “might or might not” be coming to the Abraham Lincoln Association’s annual Lincoln’s Birthday Banquet. “Might not” is no longer part of the equation. He’s coming…

All 900 tickets (at $95 each) to the event have been sold out for some time now – likely since folks got wind of who “might” be coming. Late this afternoon, however, there were still overflow seats available for a dessert reception. (Oops, it's too late now. Feb. 3, 2009)

For more information, see Bernard Schoenburg’s article in the State Journal-Register (SJ-R).

Update: According to my fellow blogger, Mike Kienzler of SJ-R's Abraham Lincoln Observer, all tickets for overflow seating were sold out as of 9:20 p.m. Monday night.

Be sure to see all the new sidebars to Schoenburg's article to learn more about the logistics, trials and jubilation of a presidential visit.

A peculiar ambition

On March 9, 1832, Lincoln said, “Every man is said to have his peculiar ambition. Whether it be true or not, I can say for one that I have no other so great as that of being truly esteemed of my fellow men, by rendering myself worthy of their esteem. How far I shall succeed in gratifying this ambition, is yet to be developed.”*

I think the magnitude of the party America is throwing for Lincoln shows he succeeded magnificently in gratifying the ambition.

Thanks to President Obama for showing the world his esteem for Lincoln, as well. Welcome to the party, Mr. President!


* Thanks to Rhoda and Lowell Sneller of Abraham Lincoln Online for creating a place where we can find authentic Lincoln quotes such as this one.

No comments: